Teachers who wish to avail of the latest Supervision and Substitution Opt-in / Opt-out offer may download circular letter 0047_2017 by clicking on the link below. The completed application form (see appendix one of the document) must be submitted to the Principal of the school as soon as possible and in any event prior to Friday, 11th August, 2017.
Supervision and Substitution Scheme – Opt-out and Opt-in Lansdowne Road Agreement
1. The purpose of this Circular is to notify Managerial Authorities, Education and Training Boards, Principals and Teachers of the amendments to the Supervision and Substitution Scheme to take effect from 1 September 2017, arising from the agreement reached between the Department of Education and Skills and TUI and ASTI in November 2016 and the Public Service Stability Agreement 2013 – 2018 (Haddington Road Agreement/ Lansdowne Road Agreement).
2. As stated in Circular 0006/2014, with effect from the beginning of the 2013/14 school year, participation in the Supervision and Substitution scheme is compulsory for all teachers, save for those who availed of the opt-out arrangement under that Circular.
3. Under the Lansdowne Road Agreement and the agreement reached between the Department of Education and Skills and TUI and ASTI in November 2016, a further optout from compulsory participation in the Supervision and Substitution scheme is being made available to teachers who satisfy the criteria set out in this Circular – see Part A of this Circular.
4. In addition, under the terms of the agreements, teachers who previously opted out from compulsory participation in the Supervision and Substitution scheme under Circular 0006/2014 are being offered the option to opt back in to the Supervision and Substitution scheme – see Part B of this Circular.
5. For the avoidance of doubt, where a teacher opted out of S&S duties with effect from 1 January 2014 under Circular 0006/2014, that opt-out remains in place unless the teacher opts back in to the S&S scheme under the terms of this Circular.
6. In order for the opt-out/opt-in to take effect from 1 September 2017, teachers who wish to avail of the opt-out/opt-in must submit an application to the Principal of their school as soon as possible and in any event prior to Friday 11 August 2017. Where an eligible teacher is not in a position to avail of the option during the summer, a review can take place in September in respect of a further opt-out/opt-in opportunity during the school year.
7. The opt-out/opt-in option contained in this Circular is available to all eligible teachers, including those covered by the previous opt-out/opt-in opportunity set out in Circular 0041/2017.
Circulation and Queries
8. Please ensure that copies of this Circular are provided to all members of the Board of Management/ Education and Training Board and its contents are brought to the attention of all teachers in your employment including those on leave of absence.
9. This Circular can be accessed on the Department’s website under http://www.education.ie
10. All queries should initially be brought to the attention of the school management who may wish to consult with their management representative organisation/ ETB. Any further queries may be directed to the following email address: Lraqueries@education.gov.ie
22 June 2017